- It’s common to believe that life is a series of external experiences. And that we must live an outwardly extraordinary life in order to have something to share. The experience of our inner world is often completely overlooked. — Rick Rubin
- If you don’t allow yourself to feel, you’re procrastinating truth.
- You can always separate feelings (unchangeable) from thoughts (changeable).
- The biggest obstacle to increasing your self-awareness is the tendency to avoid the discomfort that comes from seeing yourself as you really are. — Travis Bradberry
- Be a vessel
- There is simply no adventure quite as grand as committing to tell the truth about everything. — someone
- “Now it is my contention and my basic metaphysical axiom that existence—the physical universe—is basically playful. There is no necessity for it whatsoever. It is not going anywhere; that is to say, it does not have some destination at which it ought to arrive. It is best understood by analogy with music because music as an art form is essentially playful.
We say, “You play the piano.” You do not work the piano. Why? For instance, music differs from travel because when you travel you are trying to get somewhere and, being a very compulsive and purposive culture, we are busy going everywhere faster and faster in an attempt to eliminate the distance between places.
In music one does not make the end of a composition the point of the composition. If that were so, the best conductors would be those who played fastest, and there would be composers who wrote only finales.”
- Think of all societal and capitalistic norms as mini finite games that help with your infinite game of self and world-discovery. — Inspired by J. Carse Infinite Finite Games
- Fill in the blank: life is too short for ___.
- You act like a mortal in all that you fear, and an immortal in all that you desire. — Seneca
- Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one’s courage.
- Are the things that are upsetting you a product of imagination or reality?
- Are you thinking for yourself? (“If your opinions on one subject can be predicted from your opinions on another, you may be in the grip of an ideology. When you truly think for yourself your conclusions will not be predictable.”)
- How much of the day is spent doing things out of obligation rather than out of interest? — Naval
- Am I unapologetically me? — Thanks Xavi!
- What would someone who loves themselves do? — Thank you
- How can I make decisions out of curiosity not fear or survival?
- Am I living in a shadow of fear?
- Do you determine to be courageous to face events in life, or merely rationalize fear away, or find explanations that will give satisfaction to the mind that is caught in fear?
Interacting with beings
- Investing in relationships has the highest ROI.
- Listening is suspending disbelief. It is not just awareness, it is a freedom from accepted limitations. — Audrey Tang
- When you forgive others, they may not notice, but you will heal. Forgiveness is not something we do for others; it is a gift to ourselves. — Kevin Kelly
- “In a long-term game, it seems that everybody is making each other rich. And in a short-term game, it seems like everybody is making themselves rich. In a long-term game, it’s positive sum. We’re all baking the pie together. We’re trying to make it as big as possible. And in a short-term game, we’re cutting up the pie.” — Naval
- Comparison is a thief of joy. — Teddy Roosevelt
- Be weird. Lose some people. But find your crew.
- To bird, a song is a very different thing. — Rick Rubin
- Anything you say before the word “but” does not count. — Kevin Kelly
- Am I choosing people who are not choosing me? - thank you Nikita
- The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things. — Rainer Maria Rilke (Pursue something so important that even if you fail, the world is better off for you having tried.)
- It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.
- Не чекай чуда, чуди сам. — Small Svitlana
- You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. — William Blake
- Don't let your past control your present.
- The more secrets you have, the less happy you’re going to be. — Naval
- You GET TO do it. You don’t have to.
- Будь іскрою - і запали собою життя! — Пласт
- "Should" is someone else’s story. - thank you Kathleen
- “Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”
― Rainer Maria Rilke
Seeing the world
- To see beauty, you need to look for beauty.
- Meditation brings about progressive expansion of states you enjoy.
- It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.
- What you pay attention to grows.
- Prosochē, the practice of attention, is the practice of consistent, vigilant attention to impressions, assents, desires, and actions, for the purpose of creating excellence (virtue) in one’s inner self and thereby experiencing a good flow in life (eudaimonia). — someone
- Solace is the art of asking the beautiful question of ourselves, of our world or of one another, in fiercely difficult and un-beautiful moments.
- Sonder — the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.
- Saudade - a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that is supposedly characteristic of the Portuguese or Brazilian temperament. — thanks Camila for teaching mer this!
- Wu wei ("doing nothing", 無爲) is cultivating a deep understanding of the situation and acting in a way that is spontaneous, harmonious, and in alignment with the natural flow of life. is about being in tune with the circumstances and responding appropriately, rather than imposing excessive force or unnecessary effort. It is a state of being where actions arise effortlessly, without attachment, resistance, or excessive planning. — chatGPT
- Ultimately, your desire to create must be greater than your fear of it. — Rick Rubin
- The real work of the artist is a way of being in the world. — Rick Rubin
- Self-discipline is the greatest form of self-love. — my yoga teacher Kemie
- “Vacation won't make things better. Changing jobs won't make things better. Getting the recognition you deserve won't make things better. Drugs won't make things better.
The only thing that will make things better is your relationship with yourself."— in Farnam Street
- We are self-generating fields of energy in a living universe. — Christopher M. Bache
- Matter is the canvas that mind paints upon. - Christopher M. Bache
- Simple heuristic: If you’re evenly split on a difficult decision, take the path more painful in the short term. — Naval
- You always have three options: you can change it, you can accept it, or you can leave it. — Naval
- Thousands of years of evolutionary and social development and this is our only choice? — Hanya Yanagihara
- Who is this for? Are you doing for yourself or smb else? Or does someone push you to do smth for their purpose?
- A year from now, will it matter?
- Is the problem that worries you from the world of Maya or Brahman?
this beautiful author!